Friday, January 7, 2011

Getting Better with the Camera

Goodness it has been awhile since I have posted. Life happens at times at light speed. I have been relearning the camera, adding new techniques in Photoshop and constantly learning. Recently however, while working with a customer I realized that perhaps I do have some opinions and thoughts about the composition of a great photo. And perhaps when taking a picture its important to pay attention to your surroundings, what's in the way, how you can make it better before you take the picture. The benefit to this is the picture is close to perfect even before it gets loaded into photoshop. Its clear, sharper, and if all goes well doesn't have a palm tree sprouting out of the head of the person in the picture!

So, I have created my list of photography resolutions for the new year. The top things I plan to do to ensure better picture taking!

1) SLOW DOWN. Look at the subject from different angles, see the light as it hits the subject, look at the way you are holding the camera.

2) Do your best to use the "rule of thirds" to create your photo. Its so easy and can improve photos ten fold. This is explained perfectly on so many sites. A google search will give you so many to choose from.

3) Get out more and find new locations. I got stuck in a rut going to the same place getting the same results. There are a zillion places to experience and explore.

4) Read more. Check out PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS USER

. I joined and they have so many online tutorials and a magazine with new things to try. This year I made some wonderful snowflake gift tags with my nephews faces inside the snowflake! They were a big hit with the family. Now I am trying to figure out how to turn it into a offer on my ETSY site for sale.

5) Take classes. I don't understand the relationship of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. I am convinced that they place a huge role in creating a better picture, so this year I am paying for a class or some personal one on one photography training.

6) Find groups of other photographers and attend. Everyone I have met in these groups have been willing to offer information and advice willingly and my work has improved immensely.

7) Explore other mediums. Currently I am working on combining my photos with collage. More about that later!

8) Go to art shows. Pay attention to color, texture, layout. Look for the same colors and textures in nature, or when doing a family photo try to incorporate them into the shot.

9) Practice still life photography. Its an easy way to learn about lighting, improve your work when indoors on a bad weather day.

10) Set up a room for your work. You don't need a large photo studio, but you do need a place to practice, to read, to access all the tools you need to create your art.

I think I am going to be surprised with the results this year! I can't wait for next year to look back and see what I have accomplished! What about you? What have you learned that has improved your photography?

No comments:

Post a Comment