Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hawaii, my Home.


I recently took a trip back home to Hawaii and spent a full day travelling the island, swimming in the ocean, breathing in the salt air, and wondering could I live here for good? Pack up my bags, convince my husband to move, and take the risks that go along with that thought? Was it Hawaii calling or was it the thought of starting anew? I am drawn to the ocean. You can't step off the plane in Hawaii without breathing in the tropics. No matter where I have travelled, and I have travelled extensively, there just isn't a place on earth like Hawaii for me.

I recognize that some of the enticement comes from that place in your mind when you are on vacation. Every day you have nothing to do, every day is your day to spend the way you want it. Reality creeps in on about the second week, when you have to go back to work, have to make a paycheck. But for those two weeks its heaven. Couldn't every day be like that you ask? Can it?

I was recently in a chat room and asked the question: What does it take to "Make a Living?" I just took a 35% pay cut in my job, my hours are being reduced to 20 hours a week. I would have thought I would be angry, hurt, and in a hurry to rush and get that next full time job. But I am an not. I want to know what it means to be "Making a Living" through my own actions, my own creativity.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I have an idea for a children's book. Should I do it? Should I not? How would you approach it? I am fearful of what it would require as it seems that I have little knowledge about layout, design, photoshop, etc. I know that for it to be successful I will have to do it myself because otherwise the item becomes to price heavy.

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. How inspiring! Someday I REALLY want to go to Hawaii...I just haven't had that opportunity yet. If I were you, I'd go for it. But, that's just me. To me, there's nothing like writing and writing and writing...and someday I would love to get something published. The thought of it makes me get excited. So, if you think you've got an idea that can go that far, do it. You may need to get educated on how...but all you have to know right now is that it's possible, and with that, you can. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, thanks for commenting on my blog- it's nice to see someone knew drop by. :)

    ReplyDelete